Compared to other universities, LMU is doing pretty well with eco-friendly policies. In fact, in 2018, the Lair became the first university dining facility to earn over 400 GreenPoints™ on the Green Restaurant Association (GRA) certification scale. In spirit of the Lair’s green efforts, here are five easy ways to increase your own eco-friendly status on campus.
5. Buy a bamboo utensil set. If you always have your own silverware with you, you’re less likely to get into situations where you need to use single-use plastic silverware. A bamboo set is also ideal for eating in your dorm.
4. Start carrying a reusable water bottle. A single plastic water bottle will take 450 years to decompose. Instead of purchasing a water bottle from the coffee cart every day, save your Lion dollars and invest in a good reusable water bottle.
3. Opt for dine-in at the Lair. Even though many of the to-go dishes are eco-friendly, the best way to reduce waste is to dine in with dishes that can be washed and reused.
2. Invest in a reusable straw to keep in your backpack/purse. Glass, metal and bamboo all work well. Some companies even sell collapsible straws that fit on your keychain. Otherwise, I suggest buying a canvas pouch for your straw so that it's always clean and accessible.
1. Be patient with yourself and incorporate green habits in baby steps. Adopting a zero-waste lifestyle in a day is rather ambitious, and many can get easily discouraged. Start with easy switches that are comfortable to incorporate into your daily routine. Ultimately, the goal of sustainability is to adopt more eco-friendly habits that individuals are realistically likely to maintain.
This is the opinion of Emma Averill, a freshman civil engineering major from Porter Ranch, CA. Tweet comments to @LALoyolan or email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.